USITT Diversity Statement
The United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT) is committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for the entertainment industry. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages, strive toward equitable treatment of our members, and support members who nurture diversity and equity in their places of work and in their broader communities. USITT aims to provide its members with opportunities for outreach, education and resources in order to celebrate and incorporate the broad experiences of this collaborative community. We challenge ourselves to question assumptions, expand knowledge, and implement plans to foster a more inclusive entertainment industry. USITT is committed to partnering with organizations, businesses, and individuals that share our dedication to creating and maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
Support USITT's Diversity Efforts
USITT Diversity Initiative Goals:
- Create a resource for the industry (academic and professional) that provides a repository of historical knowledge, initiatives, partner organizations, and other resources available.
- Grow the culture of awareness and advocacy already in existing USITT forums (People of Color Networking Project, Women in Theatre, Queer Nation, and Human Issues Caucus) and promote Diversity programming and outreach initiatives.
- Provide opportunities for underrepresented populations to attend the USITT National Conference, network with professionals, and expand their experiences in the industry.
USITT Network for Diversity and Inclusion
USITT is connecting with other Theatrical Organizations committed to Diversity and Inclusion efforts by reaching out to other organizations to pool resources and expand offerings to our underrepresented members. USITT is currently in discussions with:
- Theatre Communications Group (TCG)
- Production Managers Forum (PMF)
- League of Resident Theatres (LORT)
- Leadership Development in Interethnic Relations (LDIR)
- Stage Directors and Choreographers (SD&C)
- Actors’ Equity Association (AEA)
Diversity Programming at the USITT National Conference &Stage Expo
USITT Commissions and Forums develop and present sessions on diversity and inclusion to provide information and resources to membership and the industry.
USITT Diversity Committee
USITT has created a Diversity Committee to oversee, support, and grow the Diversity Initiative’s programs and objectives. This ad hoc committee includes board members, commission representatives, and individual members; it reports to the President of the Board of Directors.