ESET Lighting and Electrics
The eSET Lighting and Electrics Exam consists of two parts. The Online Exam and the Practical Exam
The Online Exam (with its prerequisite Basic Terms & Safety Exam) may be taken at any time. To do so follow these steps:
- Register in the online testing portal. (remember the user name and password you create)
- Take and pass the Basic Terms & Safety Exam, completion of this is required for all eSET exams.
- Choose the Lighting and Electrics Exam from the menu on the testing portal.
- Successfully complete the exam in the 40 minute allotted time period.
What is covered on the online exam?
The online exam is a set of 100 questions randomly chosen by the system from a larger pool. The questions are multiple choice and true/false questions covering topics such as:
Register for the Online Exam Now
When an online exam has been successfully completed, you will receive a certificate via email. This email and certificate are your admission to the practical exam. Do not register for the practical exam until you have this certificate.
The Practical Exam is given at various times throughout the year including the USITT Annual Conference & Stage Expo. The next round of practical exams in Rigging, Lighting & Electrics and Costuming will be offered in St. Louis in conjunction with the Annual Conference on Wed. 3/8 from 10am- 5pm at a local venue. Testing slots will be limited and the participant will have had to pass both the pre-requisite, Basic Terms & Safety and their subject specific online exams by 2/28/2016. Testing time sign-ups will begin in 2/1/2017 and continue until full or 3/3/17.
The Practical Exam is offered at various times throughout the year, consult the website to find a practical exam being offered near you. Once you have identified one, to register follow these steps:
- Choose a time on the Practical Registration Website
- Arrive at the registration site 15 minutes prior to your scheduled time WITH YOUR CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FOR THE ONLINE LIGHTING AND ELECTRICS EXAM
- Successfully complete the exam in the 50 minute allotted time period.
What is covered on the practical exam?
The practical exam is supervised by an authorized proctor. The proctor will follow the rubric sheet and guide you through the stations.
- Hang and Focus
- Read a Light Plot
- DMX Fixture Addressing
- Lamp Replacement
- Wiring Plugs
Successful completion of the practical exam is the highest level of eSET skills proof. To show your completion you will be mailed a second certificate noting both online and practical completion and a pin which you should wear as proof of your skill set.
The Online and Practical Lighting and Electrics Exams were created by a group of working professionals from a variety of Lighting and Electrics organizations.
The skills working group consists of:
Darren E. Levin