Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Inducted as a Fellow: 2008
Your earliest memories of the Institute?
I wrote some of the citations for the Purple Hearts that were awarded at the (last) conference held in New York City in 1985. I had been aware prior to that but this was my first involvement. My first participation participating in a panel of talks (thanks to Sylvia Hillyard-Pannell) was in Long Beach in 1998.
Favorite USITT memory?
Too many. I loved hearing Tony Walton say (in Long Beach in 2003) as keynote that he sailed to the US his first time on the Queen Mary - and was staying on it that week! I am a big fan of David Rodger and Deborah Hazlett and have been blessed to work closely with them on lots of projects including 24 issues of TD&T!
Short list of career highlights:
Seven books and hundreds of articles about theatrical designers; hundreds of costume designer credits; thousands of students - the reason for it all.
Short list of your involvement in the Institute:
- Vice-president for Communication 2002-2010,
- Fellow of the Institute 2008,
- Active with the publications committee Golden Pen book award selection process, Herb Greggs Award,
- Helped coordinate the 50th celebration in Kansas City
Anything you want to say about being a Fellow?
Big thrill and still a surprise. Are you sure it wasn't a mistake???
- Editor, Late & Great: American Designers 1960-2010. New York: USITT in cooperation with Broadway Press, March 2010. P. 1-300.
- Co-author, Design USA (Prague Quadrennial exhibition catalog). New York: USITT in cooperation with Broadway Press, 2007. P. 1-120. With Jody Blake, P. 6-23.
- Author, The Designs of Willa Kim. New York: USITT in cooperation with Broadway Press,2005. P. 1-112.
- Author, Broadway Design Roster, Designers and Their Credits. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, Inc., 2003. P. 1-712.
- Author, Scenic Design on Broadway, Designers and Their Credits: 1915-1990. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1991. P. 1-286.
- Author, Lighting Design on Broadway, Designers and Their Credits: 1915-1990. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1991. P. 1-159.
- Author, Costume Design on Broadway: Designers and Their Credits, 1915-1985. Westport,CT: Greenwood Press, 1987. P. 1-254.
List of books that you recommend about the field:
USITT's Golden Pen Winners would be a good start to a list
Contact: See Membership Directory & Resource Guide