Studio City, California
Inducted as a Fellow: 1997
Your earliest memories of the institute?
I joined as a graduate student at UCLA in 1970
Your favorite USITT memory?
The great friendships with members of the institute-- especially the other fellows
- 300 theatre projects as lighting designer
- 1800 hours of TV including Director of Photography at Entertainment Tonight, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy
- 12 years on the road as lighting director for concert artists such as John Denver, Linda Ronstadt, and The Eagles
- Fellow of USITT and Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts
Short list of USITT involvement:
- Lighting Commission Chair
- Board Member
- Publications Committee Member
USITT member who have made a difference to you:
- Steve Shelley
- Will Bellman
About being a Fellow?
It will always stand out as a highlight of my career.
What does USITT means to you personally?
Meeting industry notables and discussing our industry one-on-one.
- The Business of Theatrical Design (2 editions)
- Concert Lighting: Techniques, Art and Business (4 editions)
Books you recommend about the field?
- The Assistant Lighting Designer’s Tool Kit by Anne E. McMills
- Lighting and the Design Idea by Linda Essig
- Scene Design and Stage Lighting by R. Craig Wolf and Dick Block
- Concert Lighting: Techniques, Art and Business by James Moody
Lighting, of course.