Las Vegas, Nevada
Inducted as a Fellow: 2009
How did you become involved in USITT? What is your earliest memory of USITT?
I first knew of USITT in 1963 as a college student at the University of Iowa. However I didn’t become a member until 1968, a short time after I started working in the business. The first conference I attended was in 1969 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. George Howard was chair. That was the first conference with exhibits: three of them…one of which was, of course, Rosco.
What is your favorite USITT memory?
Becoming a Fellow, Being elected to the Board, receiving the special citation in 1991 and the 1995 conference in Las Vega when I was local programming chair and originated the Institute’s first “Super Sessions”—five in all.
- Degree in theatre, University of Iowa, 1964
- Arrived in Las Vegas knowing on that “they do shows, there”, 1964
- My first stage job was the Folies Bergere (5th edition) at the Tropicana, 1965
- Becoming a member of IATSE Local 720, 1967
- Desert Inn Hotel production of Pzazz, 1968
- My last 41 years at Bally’s Hotel, originally the first MGM Grand Hotel
- Retired in 2014 after 49 years of working continuously on the Las Vegas Strip as an IATSE Local 720 theatre electrician.
USITT involvement/positions held:
- Serving on the Board of Directors
- Member of the Standards Committee
- Local Program Chair for the 1995 Las Vegas conference
- Speaking at and chairing many conference sessions over the years.
Short list of memorable USITT characters:
There is no such thing as a short list! During my 48 years as a member, the friendships and connection have been rewarding and educational.
Being a USITT Fellow means:
I was very honored and surprised to have been selected by a highly respected group of my peers for inclusion in this group of the best theatre professionals. I am very proud to be a Fellow.
What the USITT means to you?
Because of USITT I have made many, life-long friends who have the same interest in and dedication to the theatre. I have learned from Theatre “Greats” and imparted my knowledge and experience to the upcoming generations of future theatre professionals. I always anticipate seeing my extended theatre family at the annual conference and other times during the year.
Contact: See Membership Directory & Resource Guide