Read Sonny Sonnenfeld's Sightlines Tribute
||Location: New York, NY
||Location: New York, NY
Inducted as a Fellow: 1997
Your earliest memories of the Institute?
Back to the beginning!
Favorite USITT memory?
Tom DeGaetani was getting a lot of flack from the west coast about the " N Y Mafia." He needed a N Y Section. One afternoon in his office in the Aenta building he and I got on the phone and set up an organization meeting at Juilliard School for three weeks later. We had created the New York Area Section.
Short list of career highlights:
- N Y Sales Manager for Century Lighting
- Partner in Lighting & Electronics
- President N Y Section IES
- Chair IES Theater Television & Film sub-committee Theater Lighting
- Creator of Broadway Lighting Master Classes and Stage Lighting Super Saturday.
Short list of your involvement in the Institute:
- Board of Directors for about 10 years from the beginning
- Chair Stage Lighting 1985 Conference in NYC with 600 attendees.
If you were to make a short list of the memorable USITT characters that have made a difference to you, who would they be?
Stanley McCandless, Ben Schlanger, Tom DeGaetani, Harold Burris-Meyer
Anything you want to say about being a Fellow?
Being a Fellow is a great honor. It is wonderful.
Anything you'd like to add about what the USITT means to you personally?
I can safely say USITT has been integral to my professional development as a theatre practitioner, educator, designer, manager and leader. USITT has been my “learning laboratory,” so to speak. There was so much to learn after graduate school. I don’t know what I would have done if it weren’t for USITT. As I look back on it, USITT was my continuing education program. My transformation from being a “techie” working on load-ins and in the scene shop to being a TD, Stage Manager, Production Manager, Department Chair, Program Director, Associate Dean, Dean, and now Associate Provost was made possible by my work with USITT.
- 5th Edition NAB Engineering Handbook chapter on TV Studio Lighting
- 15 + - interviews for Lighting & Sound America
- Numerous articles in Lighting Design & Application ( IES-NA publication), and others
List of books that you recommend about the field:
- A Method of Lighting the Stage and Syllabus of Stage Lighting by Stanley McCandless
- all of Richard Pilbrow's books
- Light Fantastic by Max Keller
- Magic of Light by Jean Rosenthal
- The Art of Light and Architecture Mark Major, Jonathan Speirs, Anthony Tischhauser,