USITT’s Theatre Technology Exhibit (Tech Expo) features creative solutions to production problems. Every other year, this exhibit highlights the work of technicians from all areas of production including sound, rigging, costume, crafts, properties, mask making, lighting technology, stagecraft, and special effects. An article describing, in detail, the products and processes used to develop the idea, accompanies each exhibit. The articles are assembled into a catalog which is sold at the Conference, online, and by the USITT Office.
Tech Expo is the only juried exhibition and publication devoted to theatre technologists.
Submissions will open July 1
Projects generally fall into these broad categories:
- design of a new device
- creative use of a new (or old) material
- development of a particularly useful process, tool, or technique
Previous projects have included: Low-viscosity, nonperishable blood; Radio-controlled light sources; Armor from egg cartons; Angle cutting panel saw; Homemade CNC router table
Projects are judged for inclusion in Tech Expo on the following criteria:
- Quality and value of the idea to the profession
- Uniqueness and originality of the idea
- Clarity of the article
- No previously published ideas will be accepted by the Tech Expo Committee. If you are uncertain if your idea has been published before please ask the Committee Chair or see previously published ideas list.
Application Instructions for Tech Expo
- Applications are accepted only from USITT Members.
- Applicants may submit more than one entry. Please submit separate application forms for each.
- For each application, submit an article of not more than 1000 words, which concisely documents and describes the process for creating the project. Articles must be submitted as a text only document, using either .doc or .txt. See Submission Standards and Recommendations.
- Select at least one image or drawing to submit, you may submit up to 6 images of your project which help visualize the process and finished product. See Submission Standards and Recommendations.
- Upon receipt of all applications and articles, the Tech Expo Committee will review and select those projects to be included in Tech Expo, and notify the authors of their acceptance.
- There is an Exhibit Entry fee of $50 ($25 for students), fee is non-refundable, which must be paid at time of submission.
- Exhibits are displayed in the Tech Expo section of the Stage Expo during the Annual Conference & Stage Expo.
- A jury of industry professionals will review the Tech Expo at the USITT conference, and select outstanding exhibits to be featured in TD&T.
Dates for Tech Expo 2017:
- October 7, 2016 – Application Deadline - Complete application, article, and photos submitted.
- November 28, 2016 - Applicants notified of project selection for inclusion in Tech Expo 2017.
- Wednesday, March 8 – Exhibit Set Up. 10am-6pm
- March 9-11, 2017- Tech Expo Exhibit at Stage Expo during the 57th Annual Conference & Stage Expo in St Louis MO.
- Saturday, March 11, 2017- Exhibit Strike. 2-4:30pm
Submission Standards and Recommendations
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED IDEAS
All questions about the application process and the exhibit should be directed to:
Tim Francis, Chair of Tech Expo Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org, 210-999-8586