Centre College’s Norton Center for the Arts, in Danville, Kentucky, seeks a Technical Director to manage all backstage and technical needs of its multi-use venue, beginning in July-August.
Centre College’s Norton Center for the Arts, in Danville, Kentucky, seeks a Technical Director to manage all backstage and technical needs of its multi-use venue, beginning in July-August. A Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation-designed building, the primary venues include the 1,470-seat proscenium Newlin Hall and 370-seat three-quarter thrust Weisiger Theatre. Primary role is to oversee all backstage production and technical needs; plan, advance and implement approximately 20 annual presentations of world-class performing artists (recent performances include national tours of Rent and Cinderella, Alvin Ailey Dance, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Foreigner, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, 2012 Vice Presidential Debate); work with academic and staff units to produce student productions, convocations, and other activities; and work with/support rentals. Oversee an Assistant Technical Director, student workers and outside contractors. Fast-paced environment, 40-miles south of Lexington, great benefits, and part of a great department, college campus and community.
Individual will serve as chief production manager for all backstage and technical needs related to Centre College’s Norton Center for the Arts. Lead, manage and maintain technical/production aspects of Norton Center facility and its venues. When time permits, assist with the production and programs of Centre’s dramatic arts and music programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee scheduling and management of technical crews for events occurring in the Norton Center;
- Prioritize and implement set-up and construction schedules of any event that takes place in the Norton Center, including Drama Centre, convocations, concerts, subscription series events, recitals, lectures, etc.;
- Advance Norton Center technical contract parameters and serve as primary technical contact on site for all touring presentations to ensure successful engagements; Work in direct partnership with Engagement Coordinator for efficient and effective fulfillment of artist contracts;
- Identify, implement and oversee Norton Center facility and equipment maintenance, repair and replacement program, to include infrastructure, theatrical inventory and supplies; Identify and coordinate short and long term maintenance schedules and capital requests with Executive Director;
- Provide and ensure proper execution of policies and implementation of safety oversight for productions and presentations at Norton Center;
- Assist in gallery installation and de-installation of art exhibitions in the Foyer and other locations of the Norton Center; Assist in technical and production needs in Foyer;
- Hire, supervise and evaluate Assistant Technical Director.
SECONDARY (as time permits)
- Train, mentor, recruit and supervise students and outsourced labor during load-ins, strikes and other tech activities (may also be in coordination with Theatre Program);
- Coordinate with Theatre Program faculty in technical theatre production and design planning and implementation through instruction and/or consultation;
- Support peripheral areas in the Norton Center such as the Black Box Theatre, Newlin Foyer, and Gillespie Recital Hall.
OTHER (as needed or assigned)
- Collaborate with Centre College staff, faculty and students in a range of offices, departments, clubs, etc.;
- Lead production efforts and staffing for annual Associates Dinner entertainment in Louisville;
- Contributes to the overall success of the Norton Center by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA or BFA with emphasis in technical theatre and at least five years experience in technical theatre production. Masters degree in technical theatre preferred.
- Experience working with performing arts center national touring presentations (vs. productions) preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Successful candidate should possess a strong background in stage lighting, audio production and managing crews, as well as experience in sound reinforcement, audio-visual equipment and technology, and stage carpentry.
- Working knowledge of CAD and other technology-related programs and apps related to equipment use;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, internally and externally, is essential; Participate and provide expertise in on-going staff and event meetings;
- Ability to brainstorm, troubleshoot and resolve challenges safely and creatively;
- Ability to negotiate substitution recommendations for requested equipment compared to Norton Center inventory.
- Moderate pushing, pulling, lifting.
- Ability to lift up to 75-100 lbs on a regular basis.
- Requires mobility on and off campus.
- Valid driver’s license necessary.
To apply online please visit: www.centre.jobs
Deadline for applications is January 20, 2018.