The eSET Projection Exam consists of two parts, the Online Exam and the Practical Exam.
The Online Exam (with its prerequisite Basic Terms & Safety Exam) may be taken at any time. To do so follow these steps:
- Register in the online testing portal. (remember the user name and password you create.
- Choose the Basic Terms & Safety Exam from the menu on the testing portal. There is no cost to take this prerequisite
- Successfully complete the exam in the 40 minute allotted time period.
*Limits have been imposed on this test so that each taker can only make one attempt to pass in a period of. No test taker can attempt more than 3 times in a 365 day period.*
What is covered on the online exam? The online exam is a set of 100 questions randomly chosen by the system from a larger pool. The questions are multiple choice and multiple answer questions covering a wide range of topics.
- Knowledge of video distribution and communication protocols
- Identification of video connectors
- Understanding of display systems and video content
- Basic math in calculating lens ratios and image size
- Knowledge of industry terminology
When an online exam has been successfully completed, you will receive a certificate via email. This email and certificate are your admission to the practical exam. Do not register for the practical exam until you have this certificate.
The Practical Exam will be given at various times throughout the year including the USITT Annual Conference & Stage Expo. It shall be proctored by third party companies.
ALL PRACTICAL EXAMS HAVE BEEN PLACED ON AN INDEFINITE HIATUS WHILE WE REEXAMINE THE SCOPE OF THEIR CONTENT.
What is covered on the practical exam?
The eSet Projections Test will consist of three sections demonstrating the skills of an entry level projection technician.
- Set up a video system according to design
- Network addressing and communication
- Position and focus projection
- Set and strike portable projection screen
- Troubleshoot video system
Successful completion of the practical exam is the highest level of eSET skills proof. To show your completion you will be mailed a second certificate noting both online and practical completion and a pin which you should wear as proof of your skill set.
The Online and Practical Projection Exams were created by a group of working professionals from a variety of organizations.
The skills working group consists of:
- Davin Gaddy – Committee Chair
- Joshua Weisberg
- Jorge Salomone
- Monte Davis
- Erik Koehler
- Daniel Fine
- Peter Thompson