Jay Glerum Rigging Masterclass Washington DC
Monday June 17 & Tuesday June 18 2019
8:30am – 5:00pm
ENTRY LEVEL - This class is limited to 30 participants.
ACT NOW! Registration for this class to close on June 10.
Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theatre
1101 6th St SW
Washington, DC 20024
- June 17 & 18 2019
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
The Entry track is geared towards those needing to reaffirm their knowledge of or build upon their understanding of the basics in rigging and includes both counterweight and automated rigging safety and operations.
This class helps to prepare classroom theatre teachers and non-professional technicians for industry-level, safety practices using theatre counterweight systems for rigging to increase safe working environments in schools and community theatres.
The two-day curriculum covers rigging basics, terminology, hardware, systems, tools and safe practices. Attendees are issued the Jay O. Glerum Stage Rigging Handbook and use this text as a reference.
Curriculum to be covered
- Safe Operation of Counterweight Fly Systems
- Basic Rigging Tools and Hardware
- How to Safely Rig and Fly Scenery
- Safety Procedures for Working at
Heights and Using Ladders
- Basic Rules for Fall Protection
- Basic Maintenance of Rigging Systems
Day to Day and Why Professional
Inspections are Important
- Three hands-on segments to include:
- Hardware – proper use and application
- Fly System – system identification, safe operation, and maintenance overview
- Working at Heights – ladders & Genie lifts and maintenance overview
This is a hands on learning experience for each attendee so that theory is translated to practice under the supervision of Internationally recognized trainers.
- Shane Kelly - Chair of Design and Technology, Head of Theatre Technology, Head of Projection Design ETCP Certified Rigger – Arena & Theatre, ETCP Recognized Trainer
Registration March 14 - April 30 - $225
Late Registration May 1 - June 10 - $300
In association with CSUSM Extended Learning Glerum Rigging, has been approved for 1 Unit Credit for an additional $99. Register for this class first, then receive credit for your professional development using the following link. Registration info TBA.
TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Certificates will be issued in partnership with Educational Theatre Association so that attendees may apply for recognition of continuing education credit.
Secondary Teachers Can Apply for Travel Support
Housing: Participants are responsible for reserving their own housing.
Thank you also goes to our in-kind sponsors: