Monday August 19 & Tuesday August 20 2019
ENTRY LEVEL - This class is limited to 30 participants.
ACT NOW! Registration for this class to close on August 4.
910 Hennepin Ave.
Minneapolis, Mn. 55403
- Monday August 19
10:00 am – 6:30 pm
- Tuesday August 20
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
The Entry track is geared towards those needing to reaffirm their knowledge of or build upon their understanding of the basics in rigging and includes both counterweight and automated rigging safety and operations.
This class helps to prepare classroom theatre teachers and non-professional technicians for industry-level, safety practices using theatre counterweight systems for rigging to increase safe working environments in schools and community theatres.
The two-day curriculum covers rigging basics, terminology, hardware, systems, tools and safe practices. Attendees are issued the Jay O. Glerum Stage Rigging Handbook and use this text as a reference.
Curriculum to be covered
- Safe Operation of Counterweight Fly Systems
- Basic Rigging Tools and Hardware
- How to Safely Rig and Fly Scenery
- Safety Procedures for Working at
Heights and Using Ladders
- Basic Rules for Fall Protection
- Basic Maintenance of Rigging Systems
Day to Day and Why Professional
Inspections are Important
- Three hands-on segments to include:
- Hardware – proper use and application
- Fly System – system identification, safe operation, and maintenance overview
- Working at Heights – ladders & Genie lifts and maintenance overview
This is a hands on learning experience for each attendee so that theory is translated to practice under the supervision of Internationally recognized trainers.
- Patrick Finn - Performing Arts Product Manager, J.R. Clancy
- Jerry Dougherty - Production Manager, Central Washington University ECTP Certified Rigger - Theatre
- Mary Black - Director, School of Theatre and Dance, Millikin University
Registration May 6 - June 30 - $225
Late Registration July 1 - August 4 - $300
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis Downtown
19 North 8th Street, Minn. MN. 55403
Queen/Queen - $119 Max. 4 (Does not include sales tax & fees)
Room reservation deadline Friday July 19, 2019. After this date, the hotel will continue to accept reservations at the group rate based on room availability.
Booking Link: Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis Downtown
Hotel Features and Concessions:
- Discounted self-parking of $13 per night/per vehicle for USITT guests lodging at the hotel.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Breakfast included
TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Certificates will be issued in partnership with Educational Theatre Association so that attendees may apply for recognition of continuing education credit.
Secondary Teachers Can Apply for Travel Support
The secondary school teachers travel grant is very generously funded by Jay O. Glerum's family in memory of his support of USITT and love of the industry. Up to 6 individual travel grants can be awarded for Entry Level classes in a calendar year.
Thank you also goes to our in-kind sponsors: