Jay Glerum Rigging Masterclass San Diego - Entry Level
San Diego, California
Saturday March 30 & Sunday March 31 2019
8:30am – 5:00pm
ENTRY LEVEL - This class is limited to 33 participants.
San Diego State University
- Don Powell Theatre
Performing Arts Plaza
5500 Campanile Dr.
San Diego, CA 92182-7601
- March 30 & 31 2019
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
The Entry track is geared towards those needing to reaffirm their knowledge of or build upon their understanding of the basics in rigging and includes both counterweight and automated rigging safety and operations.
This class helps to prepare classroom theatre teachers and non-professional technicians for industry-level, safety practices using theatre counterweight systems for rigging scenery and lighting to increase safe working environments in schools and community theatres.
The two-day curriculum covers rigging basics, terminology, hardware, systems, tools and safe practices. Attendees are issued the Jay O. Glerum Stage Rigging Handbook and use this text as a reference.
Curriculum to be covered
- Safe Operation of Counterweight Fly Systems
- Basic Rigging Tools and Hardware
- How to Safely Rig and Fly Scenery
- Safety Procedures for Working at
Heights and Using Ladders
- Basic Rules for Fall Protection
- Basic Maintenance of Rigging Systems
Day to Day and Why Professional
Inspections are Important
- Three hands-on segments to include:
- Hardware – proper use and application
- Fly System – system identification, safe operation, and maintenance overview
- Working at Heights – ladders & Genie lifts and maintenance overview
This is a hands on learning experience for each attendee so that theory is translated to practice under the supervision of Internationally recognized trainers.
- Ed Leahy – Head Trainer and Cruise Ship Division Manager, Chicago Flyhouse, Inc. ETCP Certified Rigger – Arena & Theatre, ETCP Recognized Trainer
- Shane Kelly - Chair of Design and Technology, Head of Theatre Technology, Head of Projection Design ETCP Certified Rigger – Arena & Theatre, ETCP Recognized Trainer
- Loren Schreiber - Director of Technology at San Diego State University’s School of Theatre, Television, & Film. ETCP Certified Rigger
Registration Dec. 14 - Feb. 1 - $225
Late Registration Feb. 2 - March 14 - $300
Certificates will be issued in partnership with Educational Theatre Association so that attendees may apply for recognition of continuing education credit.
College level credit authorization pending. Please check back soon for details.
Housing: Participants are responsible for reserving their own housing.