Assistant Professor of Theatre Design and Production
The Department of Theatre and Dance at CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LOS ANGELES is seeking applications for a full-time tenure-track position as an Assistant Professor Design and Production. (Position starting date: August, 2021).
Responsibilities will include teaching MFA and undergraduate courses in introductory level design and technical areas, Rendering/Drafting, Advanced Topics in Theatrical Design and Technology, as well as Theatre History and Introduction to Theatre. Additional responsibilities include: supervising production participation courses; mentoring student designers; and functioning as a Designer for selected Department productions; maintaining currency in emerging stage technologies, and to work with the faculty to collaboratively build an exciting, contemporary design program in the heart of East Los Angeles.
• An earned MFA, or equivalent degree, in Theatre Design, Lighting, Scenic, Costume and/or Projection from an accredited institution (or equivalent) or a BA in Theatre (or equivalent) from an accredited institution (or equivalent), plus 10 years of relevant professional experience is required at the time of application.
• Evidence of college or university level teaching experience in Theatre Design, Lighting, Scenic, Costume and/or Projection, or related fields.
• Demonstrated advanced skills in Theatre Design, Lighting, Scenic, Costumes and/or Projection.
• Evidence of professional work as a Theatre Designer.
• Demonstrated experience working with and mentoring students and young designers.
• Demonstrated experience in working effectively with students and/or collaborators from diverse backgrounds.
• Evidence of engagement with issues of contemporary social, political and cultural significance.
• Demonstrated experience working in a range of aesthetics, styles, venues, and possibly emerging technologies, with budgets small and large.
• Evidence of successful teaching experience at the graduate level.
• Demonstrated experience in a secondary Design area, or related field, in addition to the expertise area of the earned MFA or professional experience specialty.
• Evidence of experience with television and film production, art direction and/or production design.