Director of Production
Responsible for the technical implementation of Des Moines Metro Opera’s Summer Season, 2nd Stages Series and OPERA Iowa. The Company produces 3 new productions in a summer repertory schedule as well as additional new productions in its 2nd Stages Series and education programs. This position works closely with the directors of all department in the planning and executing strategy for DMMO and its events. Primary responsibilities include directing all production planning and operations in a safe, orderly and efficient manner and in keeping with the overall mission of the Company. The Director will maintain high artistic standards and initiate and engage in early, efficient and thorough communication with design teams and department heads to ensure that new production designs are realized on time and within budget. This position has direct supervision for departments including scenery, stage operations, costumes, lighting, audio/video, wigs/make-up and designer relations in addition to direct supervision of a robust Design and Production Internship program.
Promote an inclusive, respectful and compassionate working environment that prioritizes the Company’s values towards equity, diversity and inclusivity
• Assist the General Director in the search for designers and negotiation of designer agreements.
• Interview and hire all Production Staff and Internship positions
• Work with the design and production staff in the execution and supervision of all off-site construction within budget parameters during the pre-season. This includes communicating and working with all theatrical shops and vendors for off-site construction
• Oversee occasional new scenic build on-site during the summer season
• Create the Master Technical/Production Schedule, which is the scheduling of all theater-related activities, in conjunction with the artistic staff