Fly Chief (Summer)
Des Moines Metro Opera is a major summer opera festival located in Indianola, IA. The Company produces 3 new productions each season in a summer repertory schedule as well as a smaller scale chamber sized production in the 2nd Stages Series. Our 51st mainstage season includes a rental production of Bizet's Carmen, new production of Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle, and a new production of Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges. The 2nd Stage Series includes a production of Redler’s The Falling and The Rising which will be presented at Camp Dodge, as well as Kander’s dwb (driving while black) which will be presented at three different community locales. The dates for DMMO’s 51st Summer Festival are May 15 – July 28, 2023.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work under the Technical Director in the safe rigging of all flying scenery pieces.
• Coordinate with the Stage and Show Operations Supervisors during technical rehearsals, light notes, and general notes.
• When required, assist in completion of scenic notes.
• Log the initial entry of the fly rail and maintain upkeep of the fly log.
• Coordinate with Stage Management and run all shows
• Assist with Intern Workshops, including running a Rigging Workshop during the season.
Essential Job Functions:
Works with creative teams and performers, independently utilizing their creative ability and artistic judgment to achieve a successful interpretation of designs for new productions. Consults with and updates the Technical Director, Stage Ops Supervisor, and Show Ops Supervisor and keeps them informed of all stages of production.
$700/week during the festival season.
$300 travel stipend to be paid upon arrival.
DMMO will provide a single occupancy air-conditioned dormitory housing during the festival season.
Qualifications and Skills
Any Combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
• 2+ years of rigging experience in a theatrical setting
• 3+ years of experience as a theatre technician
• Minimum BA/BFA in Theatre or equivalent professional experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proven leadership abilities
Submit resume and cover letter, email or by mail to:
Des Moines Metro Opera
Attention: Bearclaw Hart, Director of Production
106 West Boston Avenue
Indianola, IA 50125
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicant screening process begins immediately.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Des Moines Metro Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.