Production Manager - House Electrician (Full Time)
Production Manager – House Electrician (Full Time)
Under the supervision of the Director of Production and Building Services, this position will oversee and supervise all electrical / lighting activities across DMPA venues; perform a variety of technical tasks related to the preparation for and production of events; supervise production crews; ensure equipment is current and well maintained; and perform related tasks as assigned. This full time position is currently not subject to a collective bargaining agreement.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• ADVANCING PRODUCTIONS:
• Serve as a dedicated member of the Production Team in meetings with facility renters and technical staff to discuss technical needs, schedule, and staffing for each event.
• Evaluate, translate, and implement client needs and requests for productions and plan needs related to lighting/electrics. This may include providing general wash visibility and/or serving as lighting designer for several simple productions in a given season.
• Implement production electrical requests by designing, hanging, wiring, coloring, and programming/operating control console for productions.
• Coordinate key aspects of rental events as assigned.
• MANAGING PT STAFF/CREW:
• Actively manage the entire crew personnel which includes part time labor and temporary department heads. This includes skill training, skill evaluation, and performance management.
• Ensure load-in/out is appropriately staffed while addressing any issues in real-time.
• Assist in processing, entering, and approving all documents related to the budget, billing and purchasing.
• Coordinate and disseminate event schedules/logistics and assist the department with payroll, accounting processes, and internal projects as needed.
• Maintain accurate shared event calendars and files utilized by the staff.
• Oversee maintenance of all theatrical electrical equipment, including performing preventative maintenance.
• Manage electrical shop to ensure safety and cleanliness.
• DMPA TEAM:
• Serve as Event Manager, as needed, including room/stage set up, basic audio/video set up and operation, basic lighting set-up and operation.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of five years’ experience as a theatrical electrician with at least two years Head Electrician experience at a major live performing arts organization with major productions and/or yellow card touring productions
• Expert understanding of electrical and lighting design principles
• Must be proficient with computerized lighting boards (ETC Eos preferred)
• ETCP Certification preferred
• High School diploma
Critical Success Factors
• ELECTRICS KNOWLEDGE:
o Knowledge of theatrical lighting systems, color media, and the application of each
o Lighting design knowledge/experience
o Ability to adapt/integrate touring production lighting systems into facility systems and match show needs with DMPA’s equipment or suggest rental equivalents.
• OTHER TECHNICAL SKILLS:
o Ability to rig and hang scenic elements of productions
o Knowledge and application of facility rigging system
o Knowledge of sound reinforcement systems and how to assemble them
o Computer skills – CAD, Word, Excel
o Timely response to all communication, especially including event schedule changes and staffing changes.
o Ability to follow up on a large number of details and communicate them to the group.
• MANAGEMENT SKILLS:
o Supervision of large number of personnel performing a variety of tasks at one time
o Excellent supervisory and motivational management skills
o Ability to manage multiple tasks and adhere to strict deadlines
o Ability to deal with change in a positive, professional manner
o Excellent organizational and time management skills
• PERSONAL SKILLS:
o Ability to work with diverse groups, working as part of a team and individually
o Willingness to learn new skills
o Available evenings and weekends.
Physical Demand/Work Environment
Position requires frequent sitting and standing for long periods of time. Involves occasional extreme temperatures when load in/out or when working in warm areas of the grid. Position involves heights and work on or near the grid. Position requires ability to lift up to 75lbs.
This job description describes the general nature of the position without listing every detail and is not to be considered a contract for employment, either expressed or implied, between Des Moines Performing Arts and the job incumbent(s). Contents of this job description are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
This full time position is currently not subject to a collective bargaining agreement.