Stage Carpenter (Summer)
Des Moines Metro Opera is a major summer opera festival located in Indianola, IA. The Company produces 3 new productions each season in a summer repertory schedule as well as a smaller scale chamber sized production in the 2nd Stages Series. Our 51st mainstage season includes a rental production of Bizet's Carmen, new production of Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle, and a new production of Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges. The 2nd Stage Series includes a production of Redler’s The Falling and The Rising which will be presented at Camp Dodge, as well as Kander’s dwb (driving while black) which will be presented at three different community locales. The dates for DMMO’s 51st Summer Festival are May 17 – July 28, 2023.
At DMMO, we have split our Stage Carpenters into two teams- Stage Operations and Show Operations. Stage Operations load in the scenery and work on scenic repairs. Show Operations come in later in the day to act as run crew for the show and load at after the performance. The below responsibilities may vary depending on the team.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist the Stage and Show Supervisors with notes, repairs, and modification of scenery.
• Coordinate and help the Stage and Show Supervisors in the changeover of scenery.
• Coordinate with the Electrics and Properties departments as needed during changeovers.
• If on Show Operations, act as run crew for all technical rehearsals, scene-shift rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances.
• Assist in construction of scenery as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
Works with creative teams and performers, independently utilizing their creative ability and artistic judgment to achieve a successful interpretation of designs for new productions. Consults with and updates the Stage Operations Supervisor and Show Operations Supervisor and keeps them informed of all stages of production.
$650/week during the festival season.
$300 travel stipend to be paid upon arrival.
DMMO will provide single occupancy air-conditioned dormitory style housing during the festival season.
Qualifications and Skills
Any Combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
• Minimum BA/BFA in Theatre or equivalent professional experience
• Extensive knowledge of how to operate shop tools and safety procedures
• 3+ years of experience working backstage in a production setting
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Submit resume and cover letter, email or by mail to:
Des Moines Metro Opera
Attention: Bearclaw Hart, Director of Production
106 West Boston Avenue
Indianola, IA 50125
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicant screening process begins immediately.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Des Moines Metro Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.