Technical, Director and Asst/Associate Professor
Technical Director & Asst/Assoc Professor of Theatre
Shenandoah Conservatory, one of the country’s leading centers for collaborative work across the performing arts, is seeking nominations and applications for an exceptional Assistant/Associate Professor of Theatre, Technical Director. This full-time and career-contract track position, housed within the Theatre Division, begins in August of 2020. Employment with Shenandoah’s professional summer theatre company, Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre, is possible but not a requirement.
The chosen candidate will further strengthen Shenandoah Conservatory’s profile and reputation as both a premier place of study for future theatre professionals and collaborative artists, and as a place where audiences can experience transformative performances.
The Theatre Division produces musicals, plays, and operas, and collaborates with the Dance Division on dance concerts. In support of productions and related student learning, the Technical Director will:
• Serve as Technical Director on at least one show per semester, and will work closely with all designers and directors in making construction and materials decisions regarding theatrical set designs;
• Bring an enthusiasm for mentoring and working with young theatre artists, for supervising student designers, and for working with professional designers;
• Work with a staff Assistant Technical Director (ATD)and a Scene Design Fellow to oversee all aspects of set construction and installation, rigging, stage machinery, paint application and prop acquisition on all departmental productions, coordinating with Lighting and Sound;
• Teach within the Theatre Design and Production Program in an area of expertise, and advise Technical Production students, support audition and recruitment activities; and
• Serve on School/University committees as appropriate.
Other Responsibilities, Qualifications & Application Process:
For more information on the position, including application process, please visit (https://www.su.edu/job/technical-director-and-asst-assoc-professor-of-t…).
Please see full job description