The Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts at Jacksonville University invites applications for a full-time renewable twelve-month contract for a Technical Director/Designer. The Technical Director/Designer is responsible for the overall technical operations of the college’s performance spaces including lighting, sound, set design and construction of productions. The Technical Director/Designer works in collaboration with the faculty of Dance, Theatre, Musical Theatre and Film to ensure quality technical and design work, delivered on time and according to established deadlines. The Technical Director/Designer is also responsible for the coordination of other university and outside events in the college’s performance venues.
• Work with directors, chorographers, guest artists and other designers to develop the approach to each production.
• Develop renderings/models, light plots and all construction drawings necessary for each production.
• Supervision of Scenic Studio.
• Confer with production heads to establish budgets, weekly schedules and timelines for each production.
• Work with the production team to establish production calendar, planning, organization, and timelines for the Preforming Arts Series.
• Supervision of technical rehearsals.
• Determine and implement technical support necessary for events and performances.
• Assist with the hiring of university and federal work study students.
• Supervise students in the safe use and care of tools, equipment, and facilities.
• Develop and coordinate safety protocols for shop and performance spaces.
• Coordinate the repair, replacement and updating of shop tools and equipment.
• Maintain accurate inventories of all lighting, sound, and shop equipment.
• Manage, submit and coordinate work orders for performance spaces.
• Supervise student production team for performance capture.
• Oversee shop and performance facility cleanups and liaise with Physical Plant.
• Other Duties as assigned by the dean.
• Bachelors or Masters Degree in an applicable field.
• Three years of practical shop experience.
• Knowledge of safe use, maintenance, and storage of equipment, materials, and supplies.
• Able to lead by example and communicate effectively when speaking or writing.
• Knowledge of fabrication methods and techniques appropriate to productions.
• Assist with the visual documentation of performance events.
• Must be able to work independently.
Preferred Qualifications (not required):
• Ability to oversee production recordings.
• Basic understanding of video editing.
• Live streaming for music, theatre and dance events.
• Choral and concert lighting.
Applicants must submit an application, a letter of interest, resume or CV, digital portfolio and the names and contact information for three references. For complete information about the college and the university, please visit http://www.ju.edu. Application review begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Jacksonville University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.