THEATRE TECHNICAL DIRECTOR/DESIGNER
The Film and Media faculty and the Theatre faculty at Georgia State University merged in July 2017 to form the School of Film, Media & Theatre. The new school has 1100 majors and houses a Ph.D. program in Moving Image Studies, master’s programs in film/media production and studies, and undergraduate programs in film/media and theatre. The School of Film, Media & Theatre is dedicated to broadening the range of voices heard in American culture (including perspectives that are often marginalized because of race, gender, age, class, rural status, gender identity, ethnicity, body image, disability, sexual orientation, military status, religion, or political orientation).
The School of Film, Media & Theatre is part of the College of the Arts, which includes the Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design, the School of Music, and the Center for Collaborative & International Arts (CENCIA).
Located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, Georgia State University is a national leader in using innovation to drive student success and research growth. The university provides its world-class faculty and more than 50,000 students unsurpassed research, teaching, and learning opportunities in one of the 21st century’s great global cities. In 2019, U.S. News & World Report ranked Georgia State as #2 in Most Innovative Schools, #3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching, #5 in First-Year Experiences and Learning Communities, and #8 in Top Performers on Social Mobility.
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class
Be part of a growing theatre program at Georgia State University, an enterprising university located in the heart of one of America’s most vibrant arts, theatre, and film scenes. Our new Academic Professional in Theatre Technical Direction/Design will provide leadership and professionalism in our technical theatre area, both as a teacher and a technical director/designer
The candidate is expected to oversee the theatre season in the areas of technical direction, scenic construction, and organization of scenery and properties. The candidate will teach a total of five undergraduate classes in technical theatre/design per year and will design and build shows for the theatrical season
• M.F.A. degree in technical theatre/design or related field (completed by August 1, 2020)
• An emerging record of work in technical direction/design in the theatre
• Ability to teach technical theatre/design at the undergraduate level
• MFA in technical or theatre design or a related field
• An established record of technical direction/design work in the theatre
• Excellence in teaching at the university level
• Vectorworks or CAD proficiency
• A comprehensive knowledge of scenic materials and construction techniques
• A history of effective management and collaboration in the theatre
HOW TO SUBMIT:
1) a letter of application addressing a) the essential and preferred qualifications; b) your approach to technical direction/design; and c) your approach to teaching
2) curriculum vitae
3) portfolio link or equivalent design examples
4) at least three letters of recommendation
Applicants should send their materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the following address:
Attn: Regina Anderson
College of the Arts-Film, Media & Theatre
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 5060
Atlanta, GA 30303
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position should be addressed to Susan G. Reid (email@example.com). To ensure consideration, please submit all materials by January 31, 2020. Should you be recommended for a position, an offer of employment will be conditional on background verification. Position will begin in the fall 2020 semester.