The TDF Costume Collection Rental Program Will Reopen on Tuesday, August 4
August 4, 2020
TDF, the not-for-profit service organization for the performing arts, is thrilled to announce that the TDF Costume Collection Rental Program will reopen for in-person and mail-order services on Tuesday, August 4.
“Because there are productions occurring around the country that are reinventing the experience of live theatre, including virtual shows, there continues to be interest in renting our costumes,” said Stephen Cabral, Director of the TDF Costume Collection. “With new safety measures in place to maintain the health and well-being of our customers and staff, we decided now is the time to reopen our doors. It’s important that our services be available as film and TV productions restart, and the demand for print and digital media projects increases. The TDF Costume Collection has been here for our customers for more than 40 years, and we will continue to be here, ready to serve, when needed.”
In accordance with Governor Cuomo’s Reopening New York Plan, the TDF Costume Collection will be reopening with restrictions in place to maintain the health and safety of our visitors and staff. We are working in partnership with our landlord Kaufman Astoria Studios (KAS) on many new protocols.
Here’s an overview of the changes and guidelines they're implementing:
- Appointments: All customers and visitors to the Costume Collection are now required to schedule an appointment made at least 24 hours in advance. (Limited number of spaces per day, as well as number of people—max of 2—per appointment.) These names with appointments will be given to KAS Security for admittance to the studio.
- Hours: 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. EDT Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday, by appointment only.
- Health Screenings: When arriving at the main studio entrance gate, KAS procedures include a Wellness Checkpoint with mandatory temperature check and digital signed questionnaire, as well as required face coverings at all times.
- PPE: As stated above, all visitors are required to wear a mask or face coverings in order to enter the KAS back-lot, all KAS common areas AND at all times within the TDF Costume Collection.
- Social Distancing: Our customers will be asked and expected to maintain a distance of at least 6-feet from customers outside of their own party. Floor markings, stations and other newly implemented space configurations will aid in this process.
- Rentals: Although most rental guidelines remain the same, we are now featuring “Contactless Checkout” and new mandatory dry cleaning rules of any item that leaves our facility, plus extended availability on our Mail Order Services as well as a new “Curbside Pick-up” option.
If patrons have other questions or need additional information, please contact the TDF Costume Collection at: email@example.com or 212-989-5855.
About the TDF Costume Collection
The TDF Costume Collection consists of the TDF Costume Collection Rental Program and the TDF Costume Collection Research Program. The Rental Program maintains an inventory of more than 80,000 costumes and accessories to rent at a discount by not-for-profit theatre companies, opera companies, universities, high schools, religious groups, etc. For-profit companies may also rent but at a higher rate.
The Collection resides in a 16,000-square-foot space at Kaufman Astoria Studios in Astoria, Queen. This past year, the Collection served organizations that produced more than 900 productions in 35 states. It stocks all periods and accepts donations from productions, institutions and individuals. These donations are tax-deductible to the degree allowed by law. The Research Program provides resources for those looking to study the art of theatrical costume design. Each year, with the support of the Tobin Theatre Arts Fund, TDF presents the Irene Sharaff Awards honoring excellence in theatrical design.