TSDCA Announces Seventh Annual Meeting, First In-Person Event in Three Years
June 23, 2022
The Theatrical Sound Designers and Composers Association (TSDCA) has announced their seventh annual membership meeting, being held in person for the first time in three years. On June 25 - 27, 2022, TSDCA will hold three days of public panels and discussions regarding sound design and composition in theatre at the Marjorie Barrick Museum Of Art on the campus of University Of Las Vegas - Nevada. All events are free and open to TSDCA members as well as the general public. All events will also be available to stream online by registering at www.tsdca.org.
In its programming, TSDCA continues to explore many topics that are currently at the forefront of the theatre sound community with a special emphasis this year on topics that are prominent in the Las Vegas theatre sound community. Highlights include members of Cirque Du Soleil’s sound and music departments discussing the intricacies of building and sustaining their long-running shows, and a special “Surround Mixing Cage Match”, featuring some of the world’s leading pro audio manufacturers in a first-ever discussion about the similarities and differences of their software programs for surround and immersive mixing.
Plus, in a new tradition, TSDCA will be offering special introduction classes to sound design for local students at the East Las Vegas Public Library.
All events are free and open to the public. To register for any event, please click here.
The schedule of events for the seventh annual TSDCA membership meeting is as follows (all times in PDT):
Saturday, June 25th - session locations as listed in events
- 2:00pm – 4:00pm: Afternoon Session with High School Students at the East Las Vegas Library, 2851 East Bonanza Road, Las Vegas, NV 89101 - TSDCA members Ien Denio and Becca Kessin lead free classes in Recording For Pro Tools and Foley for local students.
- 7:00pm – 9:00pm Evening Mentorship Meetup at the Embassy Suites Hotel, 4315 S University Center Dr, Las Vegas, NV 89119 – sponsored by Annual Meeting Gold Sponsor d&b audiotechnik - Senior designers mentor early career and student designers in a fast-paced round robin setting.
Sunday, June 26th - All sessions take place at Marjorie Barrick Museum of Art, 4505 S Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV 89119
- 11:00am – 12:20pm Exploring the Sound World of Cirque Du Soleil – TSDCA West Coast Representative Katherine Gonzalez interviews Cirque Du Soleil audio supervisor Yianni Epivatinos, along with Bob Boster, president of TSDCA Bronze Sponsor Clear-Com, for an insiders look at how sound designs are built and maintained for their long-standing shows as well as the design and execution of their extremely intricate intercom systems.
- 12:30pm – 2:00pm - Composing and Arranging for a Cirque-type show – Martin Laniel, composer and arranger for multiple Cirque shows, explores the composition process for these experiences, as well as how music is arranged and implemented to allow for seamless experimentation and improvisation.
- 2:30pm – 4:00pm - 20 years of Surround and Spatial sound 2001 – 2020 – Collaborating Sound Designers Martín Carrillo and Nick Kourtides in discussion about venue and production-specific demands for “Spatial sound” and what applications of methodologies bring to light about the goals at hand and the tools to achieve them.
- 5:00pm - 9:30pm - Backstage Tour of Cirque du Soleil’s KA - followed by a viewing of the show
- 10pm - 12:00am - Late Night with Leon Rothenberg – a debriefing of KA with Leon Rothenberg, Tony Award winning sound designer and the original assistant designer to KA sound designer Jonathan Deans.
Monday, June 27th - All sessions take place at Marjorie Barrick Museum of Art, 4505 S Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV 89119
- 10:00am – 11:30am - Surround Mixing Cage Match! – A first time ever event! Join an all-star discussion panel of top pro audio manufacturers as they debate the similarities and differences between their software programs for surround and immersive mixing. The panel will include Steve Ellison (Meyer Sound), Ianina Canalis (Meyer Sound), Michael Eisenberg (d+b audiotechnik), Drew Levy (d+b audiotechnik), Jordan Tani (L-Acoustics), Daniel Higgott (Innovate Audio Ltd.), and Duncan Crundwell (TiMax/1602 Group). The panel will be moderated by Tony Award nominated sound designers Cricket Myers and Lindsay Jones.
Other TSDCA members-only events will include the Members-Only Meeting and Member Feedback. For more information on TSDCA membership, please click here.
TSDCA is a professional membership organization of sound designers and composers for the performing arts working in the United States.
Special sponsors for TSDCA’s Annual Meeting 2022 are d&b audiotechnik (Gold Sponsor), Clear-Com (Bronze Sponsor), and Sennheiser (Bronze Sponsor).
TSDCA Corporate Members include: DPA Microphones, Shure Inc., Figure 53, L-Acoustics, Meyer Sound, Autograph A2D, Innovate Audio Ltd, Digico, Spatial, Yamaha, Avid, Røde, PRG, Lectrosonics, Wavetool, Rational Acoustics, Point Source Audio, Five OHM, TiMax/1602 Group and Lighting & Sound America Magazine.
Please visit www.tsdca.org for more information on TSDCA and our initiatives.