Design practitioners worldwide may enter one or more projects. Entries may be for new spaces or renovations of existing spaces or any size or location. Construction must have been completed AFTER January 1, 2011.
September 3, 2021
March 2021, USITT Annual Conference & Stage Expo in Baltimore
The jurors will evaluate each entry on the following criteria:
- Creative image
- Contextual resonance
- Community contribution
- Performance venue design
- Explorations in new theater and acoustic technologies
- Functional operations of front of house and back of house spaces
- Sustainable design as part of the overall building
Submit Information Electronically
All submission material must have full anonymity, please remove all project names, firm names, and architect names. Do not include project location or place on images, drafting, and other supporting materials. Submissions that do not meet these requirements will be rejected.
- \Submit an 8.5”x 11” site plan, floor plans, sections, color or black and white photographs, and at least ten digital images showing exterior and interior views, and four images showing technical and backstage spaces. (.jpg preferred– file size no smaller than 300 dpi). Photos must cover entire scope of project including all major spaces from theaters and concert halls to rehearsal and back of house support spaces.
- A maximum 300-word narrative description, in English, including how this project responds to the judging criteria, must be submitted on a single page. In addition to the 300-word narrative, please use maximum one page of bullet points by topic (minimum 12 pt font) to identify key points about the design of the project that you want to convey.
- A one-page written statement in support of the project from an anonymous artistic or technical director working in the theatre should be included. The name of the design firm and personnel must NOT be in the letter. The statement should include specific commentary explaining how the building fits their needs.
The entry fee for each project is $250 (US currency). Payable by credit card. Entry fees are non-refundable.
Submissions must be received by September 3, 2021.
The drawings, photographs, and digital images of each entry will be used for unrestricted publicity. Each entrant must clear all credits, drawings, photographs, and digital images included in submission for future reuse and reproduction. All materials submitted will be retained by USITT.
Award Notification and Presentation
Architects of winning submissions will be notified following the jury meeting and prior to the USITT Annual Conference & Stage Expo. Awards will be presented at the USITT Annual Conference & Stage in Columbus, March 10-13, 2021. At least one representative of any successful team will be requested to participate in the Annual Conference to discuss the project. Winners will be required to submit a presentation board documenting the winning project for display at the Conference.
Past jurors include:
- Mitchell A Hirsch
- Norman Pfeiffer FAIA
- Yasu Toyota
- Bing Thom
- Jack Diamond
- Barton Myers FAIA
- Mark Holden
- Malcolm Holzman FAIA
- Graham Gund
- Bob Esert
- Bud Oringdulph AIA
- Scott Crossfield
- Joseph W. A. Myers
- Russell Cooper
- Duane Shuler
- Mark Reddington, FAIA
- Buzz Yudell, FAIA
- Richard Talaske
- Robert Long
- Hugh Hardy, FAIA
- Joshua Dachs
- Joseph Mobilia
- Timothy Hartung, FAIA
- Dawn R. Schuette, AIA, LEED AP
- Robert Shook, ASTC
- David M. Schwartz