Your earliest memories of the institute…as in how far back do you go?
- I was introduced to USITT by Dave Hand when we started the Rocky Mountain section in about 1979? My first conference was in Seattle in 1979.
Does anything stand out as your favorite USITT memory?
- I was pretty fond of the houseboat in Corpus Christy in 1983
- I was not very fond of the meal in Kansas City in 1980
- Our dinner group “Panache” was always festive and the meals toothsome and enjoyed by: Pat MacKay, Ralph Pine, Debora Dixon, Sarah Nash Gates, Peter Sargent, Lewis Crickard, Tim Kelly
Short list of your career highlights
- 2 1/2 years as Technical Director US Army theatre Vicenza Italy
- 10 years as Technical Director Bonfils Theatre
- 30 years as Director of Facilities Management Denver Center for the Performing Arts
- Owners Representative Bonfils Foundation Denver supervising over $35,000,000 in construction projects
Short list of your various involvements in the institute
- Founding member of the Rocky Mountain Section
- RMUSITT Section Officer
- Conference Co-chair Denver 1982
- USITT Board of Directors mid-eighties
- VP for Relations late eighties
- Chair Grants & Fellowships a very long time
- Fellow 1995
- Founder’s Award 1999
If you were to make a short list of the memorable USITT characters that have made a difference to you, who would they be?
- The list would not be short but it would include: Eddie Kook, Don Shulman Sam Scripps, Dave Hand, Randy Davidson, Leon Bruner, Dick Arnold, Dick Durst, Dick Devin,………and more
Anything you want to say about being a fellow?
- To me it is living in rarified air! I am greatly humbled by being a Fellow alongside many people who have defined theatre in America.
Anything you'd like to add about what the USITT means to you personally?
- As a member of USITT I have been encouraged to want a leadership role not only in my profession but in many aspects of my life. Through Board and Committee service I have learned business management, and patience, that I would not have learned anywhere else.
Mentoring—is there an area that you’d be happy to mentor students, officers, commissions about?
- I would be pleased to mentor in the area of Board Service, career advancement and personnel management skills.