Pat MacKay Diversity In Design Scholarship Application Deadline Extended To June 1
May 25, 2023
The deadline for submissions has been extended to June 1!
Live Design, in partnership with TSDCA & USITT, will once again award the annual Pat MacKay Diversity In Design Scholarships for undergraduate students. The goal of the scholarships is to increase gender and racial diversity for the future of lighting design, projection/digital media, and sound design, for theatrical applications and all areas of live entertainment.
Founded in 2019, The Diversity In Design scholarships are named for Pat MacKay, formerly publisher of Theatre Crafts and Lighting Dimensions magazines and founder of the LDI Trade Show and Conference. She is a USITT Fellow and has served as a mentor for several generations of industry professionals. This is the fifth year that the scholarships, funded by LDI and Live Design, have been offered with the goal of supporting underrepresented and unique voices in the field of entertainment design.
TSDCA coordinates the sound design scholarships in collaboration with co-chair Lindsay Jones, while Live Design coordinates those for lighting and projection/digital media design. USITT, in collaboration with executive director Laura Lee Everett, handles the financial coordination with the universities. Both organizations have non-profit 501C3 status. Judging is done by a panel of design professionals chaired by lighting/projection designer Roma Flowers.
Undergraduate students enrolled in lighting, sound, and projection/digital media design programs at accredited schools, as well as high school seniors who have been accepted to an undergraduate college or university design program are eligible to apply online: Diversity In Design Scholarship Application Portal.
Students applying for the scholarships will be asked to provide:
- Copies of their work, such as a digital design portfolio, or audio samples;
- References/recommendations from teachers/collaborators;
- An essay on why they would like to win this scholarship and their career goals.
- A headshot or photo of them at work in the theatre
- Each student that is selected for one of the Pat MacKay Scholarships will receive funds toward their education, $1250 paid per semester directly to their school. In order for the students to get the next year’s payment, they must show progress toward their degree, show at least a 2.5 GPA, and provide a letter of support from a mentor with an update on how they are progressing as designers.
The new deadline for submissions is June 1. The fifth annual scholarship recipients will be announced in late June.