USITT Sound Commission
The Sound Commission provides a center for intercommunication, information exchange, and project activity for people who are interested in the use of sound as a part of dramatic, theatrical, and entertainment presentations. The Commission works actively with other USITT Commissions as well as with members of the profession throughout the entertainment industry.
USITT/TSDCA Sound Documentation Recommended Practice
Commissioner: Davin Huston
Associate Commissioner: Michelle Ohumukini
VC of Programming: Carolina Perez
VC for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
VC for Conference Operations: Rusty Wandall
VC for Awards: Jason Romney
VC for Safety and Health: Brad Ward
VC for History and Heritage: David Budries
VC for Education: Vincent Olivieri
Co-VC for Guest Artists: David Budries
Co-VC for Guest Artists: Eileen Smitheimer
VC for Student Sound Crews: Eileen Smitheimer
VC for Research: Nicholas Drashner
Associate VC for Research: Seth Warren-Crow
Sound Studio Co-Chair: Joe Pino
Sound Studio Co-Chair: Rusty Wandall
Special Events Sound Coordinator: Michelle Ohumukini
Updated: August 31, 2022
The Commission also works to promote the professional stature of sound designers and engineers in many ways, including recognizing outstanding careers through Distinguished Achievement Awards. Among those honored have been John Bracewell, David Collison, Don and Carolyn Davis, Jonathan Deans, Dan Dugan, Abe Jacob, Jack Mann, Tony Meola, John & Helen Meyer and Charlie Richmond.
Student sound portfolio guidelines
Sound Graphics Project
- The USITT Sound Graphics Guidelines are intended to serve as a common starting point for students studying sound design.
- The Sound Graphics Guidelines are currently being updated in collaboration with TSDCA. This process will be discussed at the March 2018 conference with a working draft released for comments later in the year. The subcommittee members are:
- Josh Loar, Michael Backhaus, Nicholas Drashner, Sam Kusnetz, and Joanna Lynn Staub.
- Examples of sound system block diagrams prepared according to the current recommended guidelines:
- Medium Sized Musical Theater System
- Very Small System
- Larger Musical Theater System
- Small Non-Musical Theater Production
The OISTAT Sound Working Group works with the Scenography Commission to include sound design into that Commission’s, and OISTAT’s, membership and activities.
The Commission is very active in the Prague Quadrennial Scenofest.
The Sound Commission provides Student Portfolio Reviews at the Annual Conference & Stage Expo.
The Commission presents awards to those who have had outstanding careers in Sound (Harold Burris-Meyer Distinguished Career in Sound Award) and for outstanding student achievement (Robert E. Cohen Sound Achievement Award).